Sunday, August 26, 2012

Warrior Dash

Warrior Dash has 16,000 competitors this weekend, 8,000 per day, 500 per heat, every half an hour ... what a day!!

Impressed beyond belief, challenged with every muscle and fiber in my body, the obstacles were joyously strenuous and I have never been in more mud in my life!

One of my best girlfriends, Dawn, my Mariah and I were Team A.L.S.  With this competition, costumes are encouraged which made us get creative. I made our ALS ribbons and shirts to go with our Warrior Princess look ...



In our tribe, every warrior princess has bling!



Here we are at the START line!



The race was 3.12 miles through the woods. Continuously up and down hills, on paths with rocks and holes that added caution to where one stepped. Several obstacles were swimming and climbing over objects in water when you cannot even touch the bottom (those were the most challenging for all of us). Leaping over walls, climbing high walls with safety at risk, walking over rope platforms, challenging obstacle after obstacle while running up and down hills and through creeks.

Adrenaline stays push hard!

Family and friends could watch from the finish line the last 3 obstacles ... over a wall, leaping over two fire pits, then under barb wire crawling and pulling yourself through thick and sinking mud to the FINISH line.





Here we are ... fresh out of the mud with our finish line Warrior Dash medals on! Our friend Greg who was in the next heat ran with us (Pictured: Greg, me, my Mariah and Dawn).


My warrior princess Mariah ran 3.12 miles through 10 challenging obstacles in 39 minutes!! Dawn ran it in 43 minutes and I did it in 1 hour/1 minute. Dawn who is a runner daily and in tip-top shape was beyond impressed and said my Mariah is an animal and she couldn't keep up with her!! 

My girl is a ROCK STAR!


It was exhilarating pushing myself physically to see what I was made of. Even though I was the weakest link at 1.01 minutes out of the 3 of us ... in the female 40-49 age category, I still beat "hundreds" of men and women in the 20's and 30's age categories by 12 noon yesterday, which means thousands by the end of the day and the whole competition.

For this girl who started running for the 1st time ever in life this summer, I am TOTALLY pleased with my performance.

Next year will be a whole new story!  Dawn's goal is to keep up with Mariah, my goal is to keep up with them both!!  Next year our dad's who cheered us on will join us in the competition as well as my Brooke, my brother and hopefully more friends.

Now that we know what it is all about, next year the heat will be on, the "smack talk" turned up!!

Warrior Dash 2012 truly was the best way to end this summer.