Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Non-Judgemental

My Mariah was at her dad's house this morning when she text me that she needs to come home and talk to me. In less than 10 minutes she was in our driveway walking through the door in tears and in my arms.

I am her confidante, her most trusted friend and the voice of reason she turns to first. Thank you, God!

She asks me to not say anything until she is done with her whole story, I nod in agreement. My beautiful almost 17 year old cries and tells me the unfairness of a situation with the new boy she likes and like almost every day I am given the golden opportunity to listen to her heart, her hopes and her thoughts.

I listen carefully and chose my words to calm her. She has such a world ahead of her, but at this tender age everything is a mountain.

She trusts me. She listens to my perspective and runs in my arms saying, "Thank you for always being non-judgmental." I embrace her, kiss her cheeks and tell her everything will be okay.

So many stand on their cross platforms harshly judging others and momentarily feel empowered to take a righteous stance. Those are the very ones that are quickly removed from the circle of trust. Their own shortcomings quickly shine like a beacon in the night and they are immediately shut out of my daughters future conversations.

Motherhood is a delicate balance of being a best friend, a mom, a confidante and the very one my girls want to share their hearts with.

The storm is calmed.

Later today, she sends me a funny picture she took at WalMart and wanted to see if it was appropriate to post to Facebook.  She got an, "Absolutely not!"  Then I thanked her for asking first and all is well in the world of being a 16 year old girl again.

"Be as good to my grandbabies as I am to you and choose your battles wisely." - Dawn