Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Cross Necklace

Mariah is 17 years old and a Junior this year in high school.  Last year she was accepted into a teaching program a another local area high school that will give her a full flavor of life as a teacher over the next two years. She has always wanted to be a teacher and this program is perfect for her.

Her first assignment in front of her class in the program was for each student to bring in a bag of items that best represents them, they are only allowed to talk about two of the items.

My teenager daughter shows and tells her cross necklace and an athletic trophy.

A cross necklace is worn around her neck everyday that represents her faith and that going to church is an important part of her life. The athletic trophy is a symbol of her passion for sports as an athlete.

I asked her how the class responded?  She said she received the loudest applause.

I applaud her, too! I applaud who she is as a teenager in two public school systems that openly and confidently proclaims her faith. My daughter is a leader.

Brooke also wears a cross necklace. Her daddy always wore a cross necklace and recently she insisted on buying her own cross necklace just like him. I smile thankful that she picked up another one of his better qualities.

I'm not sure how I got so lucky to have two really good girls with dynamic personalities, both beautiful with values, morals, faith-based and confident.

I claim grace and mercy.