Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Be Careful"

It has been several months now that Mariah has had her drivers license and hops in the car daily to go to school or whatever destination she is off to as a busy teenager.

There is a new mantra that I repeat constantly that is annoying in my own ears, "Be careful."

Be careful as if she wouldn't be careful had I not said it. Be careful as a seed planted in her mind that she is a new driver. Be careful (no loud music, no talking on the phone, no texting ... ever!) because she is my baby and she may forget if I don't say it.

I want to huddle like a coach with her in a team prior to a big game and remind her of driving safety rules, where to park, to watch out for other drivers, and for gosh sake watch your blind spots when lane changing.

"Be careful" also means I love you. I always say I love you, but be careful means I love you, love you.

My sweet girl never seems to mind my constant reminders. "Be careful" said casually as if saying "see you later" is external. In my mind ... I am embracing her, kissing her cheeks, holding her face in my hands looking eye to eye seeing that she really gets the seriousness every day of safety.

10,000 angels protect her!