Friday, August 10, 2012

A Widowers 1st Date

Over a week ago, I met a guy at a club that was there to meet a former colleague of mine. She was busy in a clash of worlds with other guys, so he and I spent the evening together. We have gotten together in groups of friends since then, but last night was our 1st official date.

He remembered a conversation we had about the restaurant Bonefish that I've been wanting to go there and made reservations for last night. Excellent choice and bonus points for paying attention!

I chose to meet him there and when I saw him, he had a beautiful bouquet of flowers in his arms and a kiss for me.


A very endearing and old-fashioned move on is part and I thought it was so sweet! Dinner was so delicious and conversation lasted 3 hours.

This is the one that I am handling very carefully. He is a widower and lost his wife only 3-1/2 months ago.  At first I questioned (to myself) how could he be out so fast?  I've ended relationships where I needed much more time than that to heal.  His wife had been sick for years. For years he fulfilled his duties as a husband.

He was telling me he ordered a smaller bouquet of fresh flowers for me, but when he walked into the florist, the owner insisted on a much more grand bouquet because it was him.  He told me about his colleagues and his wife's best friend who are so excited for him on this date tonight and I had to ask the inevitable ...

"Is this your 1st date?"  Yes. 

While I was driving to this date tonight I talked to God that my heart was not in the right place for this date (for the record, I loathe initial dates and prefer the comforts of an established relationship). Typically, I grumble and toss the idea back and forth if I should even go, which usually ends up with me calling a girlfriend to express my desire that I would rather stay home. I knew this one is in a very fragile place in life, is way to excited about the idea of me, and I don't want to hurt him in my unsettled place in life.

I am his 1st date since he lost his wife he was married to for 13 years. No pressure there!

A widowers 1st date. That was a first.

FRAGILE: Handle with care.