Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bee's

The oddest thing happened yesterday...

My dad & mom came over to help me with another project when we noticed a couple of bee's going into a small crack in the concrete foundation of my house.

I told my dad that I would get my Wasp spray so he doesn't get stung. He said, "No, grab your power vacuum." 

We had been told, but had not witnessed what happens when you place a power vacuum by a beehive. The loudness of the suction draws them out with curiosity, the suction power sucks them up. The larger ones who were stronger and lucky to fly away all flew back out of either more curiosity or to protect their home. They eventually were sucked up, too.

This wasn't just a couple of bee's we initially saw, it ended up being we guess around 1,000!!!

Hypnotized, we sat for one hour watching easily around 20 some per minute fly in from we don't know where or out of the crack and fly into the tunnel of the vacuum.  Honestly, I hardly ever see a bee when I am in my back yard and I am out there all the time.

Where they came from, we don't know, but they never stopped.

After an hour, we had enough and shut down the power vac.  We have heard of using a power vacuum over spray from a family friend who one day ran his for 3-days straight!

So friends, when you think you see a couple bee's, know there are hundreds, possibly thousands.  Get out your power vac, set it up about 1-1/2 inches from the bee hive opening, stand back and watch the amazing numbers of bee's fly in from everywhere.

And you thought you only saw a couple!