Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hidden Treasures

This past week has been the last week of summer break for my girls, with that we have gone on a couple of day trips that landed us in one hidden treasure.

Geneva on the Lake is one summer destination that I didn't make it to this summer, but with a few days left I woke my babies up and said we are going on an adventure. Kind of like the pilgrims, but with GPS and restaurants on the way!

Geneva on the Lake is a quaint lakefront town on Lake Erie a couple of hours from home. We stopped at Geneva State Park, walked through the shops in town and enjoyed lunch at a fun diner Brooke had been to before with her dad.

The next stop was the Headlands State Park, my best new find of the whole summer and a new favorite hidden treasure.

The Headlands State Park is the only natural sandy beach along Lake Erie all-inclusive with sand dunes. After my lengthy online research for the best possible beach along Lake Erie, I still wasn't prepared for the very beautiful Headlands State Park which I believe is so much nicer than many of the dark beaches along the Atlantic Ocean.

Here is Brooke and Mariah as we enter our new treasure ...


Who knew the park would be so big with so much sand ...


Sand dunes in Ohio?  I didn't know it was possible, but it stole my heart ...


Another surprise was as soon as we entered the water we were instantly on smooth pebbles and stones ...


and to think for years I have traveled at least 8 hours east to simply lay on a beach.

This summer has been blessed beyond measure in fun & wondrous moments. Finding a hidden treasure beach destination so close to home fills me with fireworks inside.