Friday, August 3, 2012

Girlfriend Code

There is such a thing called "Girlfriend Code" like a law that should have been the 11th Commandment, "Thall shalt not date or show any interest in a man that a best friend has dated, liked, claims dibs on or been with."

This is a code of honor that I have lived by which has resulted in phone calls both ways between friends for decades that goes something like this, "I met a guy from ______ ... looks like your type, do you know him?"  Translate the 11th Commandment from above.

It is a small world and last night the world seemed small again.

I met and have been talking to a new guy for about 2 weeks.  Super funny & witty, which I really like for mental stimulation. A good career, passionate interests, and a very sexy fitness trainer. I smile when opening his messages because he is quite challenging mentally and so funny.

In conversation with him yesterday a few things he said triggered some familiarity and it hit me like a brick wall on my way to meeting my girlfriends out.

I ask one of my best girlfriends, Dawn, if possibly-maybe-hopefully she didn't know him. She dated him for 6 months, 7 years ago.  CRAAAAAAP!  As any good friend would do, she assured me she didn't care. 

Ladies, no man is worth a best girlfriend!

There are laws, rules and codes of conduct to obey in life.

A best friend will be there before & after all the Mr. Right Now's. No wedge in friendship is worth him so today I quickly pointed out what a small world it is to Mr. Fitness Extraordinaire.  He didn't care. Guys just don't.  But, I do.

As I am out with friends last night, a former colleague (not a close friend) had her small worlds collide with two guys showing up that she is in communications with.  The better looking one and I started talking when I was encouraging him to join her on the patio dance floor.  Our conversation turned into the four of us, the other guy and my friend, hanging out for the night. An unlikely situation turned fun.

He asked me out for tonight and tomorrow night.  So the four of us are getting together again! 

Girlfriend codes only apply to best friends.