Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Heartbeat

The hummm of a fan with its cool breeze blowing our way, snuggled on the couch, watching the very funny movie Bridesmaids, my head was on his chest and I could hear it ... his heartbeat.

For a moment the movie faded for me as I listened to the rhythmic beat of his heart. Strong. Healthy. Very much alive.

Thank you, God.

Thank you for keeping him safe in a profession that jeapardizes him every day. Thank you for his strong and healthy heart. Thank you for this very moment. Thank you for the peace of knowing there is no where else I want to be, but listening to this simple beat of a heart.

The first sign of life is determined while in the womb by a babies heartbeat. The last sign of life is determined listening for a heartbeat. Every moment in between is life.

I don't hear a heartbeat unless I love. It's the oddest dynamic over the decades with only a couple times that I distinctly remember the private moment of my own awareness that "I hear his heartbeat." My internal trigger that my own heart is in a very good place.

Last night I listened to its beat. I savored the moment secretly to myself and thanked a holy God just for being in that very moment in life.

Keep him safe.