Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tenderness

Last night I picked up one of my Christian books, searching for words I desperately need to hear.

I’m sailing through the chapters, feeling rejuvenated, and thankful for the will to search when I really need it.

I came to a chapter on Forgiveness.  This is easy.  I have pretty much mastered forgiveness in my life. I have forgiven unthinkables, simply to release their powers to no longer hurt me. 

I’m reading the lines where God wants us to “walk this way:  loving, forgiving, and interceding for those who do not get you, who have hurt you, who don’t deserve your love.”  I am reading, but my mind is wandering to one person, a real thorn in my life.

You have it in you to be tough against the lies of the enemy and tender toward the things of God.”  I know this. I’ve tried, God.

We have to be humble enough to receive God’s grace, and gracious enough to give it.”  A text comes through my BlackBerry.  It’s Debbie (not the thorn in my life).

What a timely God we have.  Debbie was Keith’s “other” girlfriend.  Debbie was his partner/best friend for 15 years.  They bought a home together last summer.  

Debbie has been there the last 15 years. Roann the last 5 years.  Follow me here.

I found out about Debbie when I was 2 months pregnant with Brooke.  We spent years “getting even” with one another.  It was an ugly time.

Debbie has always been in Brooke’s life. Years ago, I stopped hating her and appreciated her for being so good to my daughter.  Let bygones be bygones. 

Our relationship grew to where she picked Brooke up for their weekend visits.  Would come into my home and conversations were nice. 

Debbie is the one who found Keith on December 19, 2010.  Heavily medicated to cope and she hasn’t been back to her home since that day. 

Debbie text she misses Brooke.  That she is in counseling to get through her pain. What a broken admission for her to make ... to me. 

Okay, I get it now.  Beyond forgiveness, I have to be tender towards the things of God.

I reply that it was tragic and encouraged her to reach out and get and the help she can.

I invited her to stop by whenever she would like to see Brooke.

Some battles come easy, some take real heart effort on my part.

I try not to do things the common way, rather the uncommon way. With hopes of turning ordinary into extraordinary.