Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Am Not The Holy Spirit

“I am not the Holy Spirit.” Imagine my surprise! 

I’m reading in bed and I come across the sentence, “I am not the Holy Spirit.” I laughed to myself and then re-read the sentence.

OUCH!  That hit home on many levels.

I reflect … “God, strike with a lightning bolt now! God, try it this way? God, get ‘em! God, if you do it that way, I know it will work!  God, I know him best, just do this and everything will work perfectly!”  My pleas echo through my mind.

“But, God I am here on earth and on the surface, things in life dance constantly before me. I have great ideas for You to consider and try.”

I am not the Holy Spirit. 

How many times throughout my life, in prayer, I have offered up suggestions and recommendations to a Holy God?  Unlimited times.

Pure ignorance (ouch, again!) on my part … why do I do this?

I try to make sense of my behavior. I have been a single mom for almost 14 years to a now teen and a tween.  We have a wonderful home that is our favorite place to be. I work in a role that my job is to “get it done” and I do.

My dear boss recently emailed a colleague, “Dawn can have the moon eclipsed if you ask.” I just love that guy! He knows I can’t. I know I can’t. But, he knows I will tap into every power to make it happen.

My roles in life have empowered me to handle broad situations. I am a natural get it done girl. God doesn’t need me being the executive assistant to Him in Heaven.

I am guilty of playing the Holy Spirit.  I am guilty of telling God how to handle unlimited situations.

I blacked out the last time I gave blood!  I don’t even know how blood flows through the body, let alone breathe life into an unborn baby that produces a heartbeat to create the flow of blood and life.

I am not the Holy Spirit.

The best place I have found myself is where God has slowed my life down, quieted me, and clearly shown me that I am not in control of the universe.

His strength is at work. He is God.

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. My role is to lay all the broken pieces at His feet. What an enormous relief!

Special request:  God, could you please have the moon eclipse on June 15, 2011?  ;D