Thursday, February 17, 2011

Resignation Letter

The most honest relationship I have ever had in my life has been in my role as an executive assistant to the President & CEO, my beloved boss and friend, Ed Harrison.

Ed laid the foundation at the beginning that he has no secrets, professionally speaking. Our relationship went beyond support to total trust and honesty.

How do you write a resignation letter for a very dear friend?  First, you cry.

Call it nostalgia if you will … I reflect over the last 5 years that I have supported Ed, I am not sure at what point early on did I recognize that under his gruff exterior was the same soft heart and personality of my very own dad.  Two men cut from the same mold … and I am definitely a daddy’s girl!

Ed’s own daughter is my age and she also has two daughters.  These dynamics are definitely God’s hand in lining up the stars in my favor.

I begin to write.  How do I start his resignation announcement?  He will want it in a standard format, strictly professional. But, I’m writing it. This one must be warm & heartfelt.  He will edit to remove the fluff, but corporate email blasts across the country come from me.  This one, he can’t have his way.

I grab another box of Kleenex.  His words throughout the years echo in my mind, “No more tears!”, “No crying allowed!”, and the daily familiar, “Go to your room!”  “Go to your room” means go to my office, in a dad tone.  Sometimes I feel 40 years old and professional, sometimes I feel like I am 8. 

Memories flood me.

Memories of professional opportunities where he instructed Jody and I to start up a new technology company from scratch that became Platinum Technologies. Offices in Akron and Tampa, producing 1.5 Mil profit its first fiscal year.  Instructing me to create Customer Relations from scratch, which provides customer service support for the corporate office and our 50+ schools in 6 states. Encouraging my participation as a graduating member in Leadership Ohio, class of 2010.  Every campaign I ran. Every cause I wanted to support, he supported. 

Then there were the moments of falling on my own sword in confession if I did something wrong. I wanted him to hear it from me first … he would laugh and share his own past experiences. 

Moments of shutting the door for private conversations, bridging the gap between major issues executive level and employee level. Inside knowledge he had to know. Trust and honesty.

Moments of my being raging, yelling mad … he would listen, trust, and protect me.

This was five years of hands-on education, first-hand experience in supporting an old school, good ole boy business man.  The kind of education that doesn’t come from text books.

Ed deserves to retire.  I am so happy for him.

His beautiful wife, Lee, whom he calls his “bride” deserves to have her husband with her. To spend their years with their children and grandchildren are the fruits of his labor.

I will somehow finish writing his resignation announcement today. It will be warm & heartfelt to stay professional.  I won’t be able to sign it, “In loving and faithful support, Dawn” or maybe I will!  J