Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sometimes I Just Blink

Friday nights are definitely family night in our home.

A family comedy movie is rented, the lights are dimmed, and the fireplace is dancing warm and toasty.

We are together.  In our favorite place.  Home.

There is a familiar routine to this ... Mariah lies by the fire and inevitably falls asleep. Brooke is somehow always right up against me.

When Brooke was a baby, she was happiest attached to me at all times. Needing to function and be productive, I bought a front baby carrier, and placed Brooke it in facing me. I cooked, cleaned, and went about my day. 

Happy. Content. Cheerful. Peaceful.

At 11 years old, we often say, “Cut the umbilical cord!”  Still this child is her happiest attached to me. 

A familiar comfort.

Last night our movie was ending, Brooke was nestled next to me.  She gets up and says very motherly-like, "I’m going to put Mariah to bed."

Sometimes I just blink.

I didn’t say anything, but watched her go into her sister’s room to prepare her bed, then woke Mariah up saying its bedtime.  She did the careful walk behind following her sister into her room and turned the lights out.

I’m so thankful for the bond my girls have. Two sisters, who run to the battle line in life for the other, loving each other dearly. 

They have their moments as sisters do, but you will hear every day in our home their casual exchange of “I love you.”