Friday, July 12, 2013

Women of the Bible Website

I have said it before, women of the Bible have been my own personal passion for years. I remember when a former colleague of mine, Ruth, gave me my first Women of the Bible book back in my early twenties.

We worked night shift at a large medical facility and I was doing the nightly system back-ups for the hospital. She had just met a much older man and was about to marry and move to Australia. Immediately the women of the Bible captured my attention.

Through the years I have found random women of the Bible books and always walk away amazed at their role in history, these imperfect women God used throughout the entire Bible. Why hadn't the churches I attended shared their stories instead of just the men as the leading roles in sermons?

The more I read about these woman from all walks of life, the more I learned about my God. His compassion. His love. His ability to teach the future through one holy book that His will be done.

For years my passions have grown stronger to share with the world my girlfriends in God, the women of the Bible. To share with a world these amazing women God used who haven't gotten their due credit.

I like to think of the women of the Bible in heaven waiting for someone to share their stories. Not just in books that mostly Christian women would pick up for a safe and healthy read, but through modern technologies world wide web, where any woman may run across their story without cost and get to know them.

Doing my own website has been a growing thought in my mind. A passion stirred.

Recently I had a friend ask me, "If you could do any one thing what would it be?"  I shared doing a website for women of the Bible.  He pressed further, "What is stopping you?

Me.

Have you ever felt like there was something you were supposed to be doing, yet you wouldn't budge? This is one area in my life where I have been afraid to move forward. For fear I am not adequate and can best represent these women.

Too many nudges from God in many directions reminds me He is waiting.

Last night I am reading in bed the book Heaven Is For Real.  I confess I have read it many times before. What I love so much about it is Colton who is only 4 years old shares his memories of his 3 minutes in heaven. Three earthly minutes, but in heaven enough time to see and learn countless stories he was able to share with his parents about God, heaven, and all those he met. A must read if you want a glimpse of heaven from the mouth of a baby. One day Colton told his dad, a pastor, that he saw the power God shot down from heaven when he was preaching. The dad/pastor pressed to know more, yet remembers every Sunday morning praying that God speaks through him.

Today, reading my Girlfriends in God devotional God met me where I am:

The Old Testament book of Exodus shows, over and over again, that nothing is impossible with God. Nothing! Moses was an ordinary man who was chosen by God to do an extraordinary task. On the far side of the desert in Midian, high on the mountain of God, Moses met the LORD face to flame. God appeared to Moses “in flames of fire from within a bush.”          

I would imagine that Moses was probably dirty, sweaty, and stinky from shepherding as he stood on holy ground before the LORD. I’m sure he was keenly aware of his filth and stench, both physically and spiritually. As he slipped off his shoes, he hid his face in fear. Moses did not feel adequate for the assignment that he had been given. He wasn’t confident in his abilities to get the job done. In fact, he even pleaded with God to send someone else! Moses said to God in Exodus 4:10, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”

Moses is a significant man in the Bible. Not my comparison, but my point is I don't feel adequate. I am not confident in my ability to get the job done.

Okay, okay, okay ... I will do it. 

I will build a website and share with anyone who wants to read it my girlfriends, the women of the Bible, but I am going to need lightning rods of power from heaven to best represent these women from thousands of years ago, that I can't wait to meet someday.

Stay tuned ...