Sunday, July 7, 2013

APEST

My church is doing a teaching series called APEST:

Apostle
Prophet
Evangelist
Shepherd
Teacher

A personality assessment where each of us falls into a category of natural strengths and abilities how God has shaped each of us individually. I encourage you to take the free online assessment at fivefoldsurvey.com.

After a brief description of each category while sitting in church, I truly had no idea whatsoever which category I fell into, but let's just say while I didn't recognize my own positive personality traits easily, the negative traits of one of these hit home HARD. The negatives traits I was all to familiar with and decided I would take the online assessment myself to see which category I fall strongest in.

Know, I am also a personality assessment junkie. I have lengthy reports on my personality personally and professionally that make me laugh out loud. What I like about it is that I know my personality can be too strong for some people, it is a constant reminder to me that not everyone thinks like I do and professionally I have to handle people differently.

Fivefoldsurvey results ranks me #1 being an Apostle. Not the category I would have ever guessed until I began to look into it.  The negative traits of an Apostle is my all too familiar territory.

APOSTLES ENJOY
  • Dreaming dreams and making them happen
  • Strategizing
  • Causing breakthroughs
  • Change!
  • Challenging the status quo
  • The 'quarterback' role = seeing possibilities in others
WORDS THAT DESCRIBE AN APOSTLE
  • Imagines
  • Initiates
  • Excites
  • Envisions
  • Challenges
  • Stretches
  • Change!
Change is a common theme here. While most people see change as the foundation under their feet is shaking, I thrive on change and embrace the thrill of what comes next. In my mind, it is being unstuck, free. It is experiencing all life has to offer, stretching myself as a person constantly learning more and experiencing more.

POTENTIAL PITFALLS FACING AN APOSTLE [Lists pitfalls of an immature apostle and characteristics to be aware of and my own personal excuses]
  • Seeing people as a means to an end [How can I leverage them professionally to accomplish a goal?]
  • Using and abusing others [Others feel run over in my 'keep up or get out of my way' mission]
  • Low boredom threshold [Just get it done and let's move on to the next project, please!]
  • Terrible at completing-finishing [Details ... blehhhh! I prefer the high-level overview]
  • Can leave a trail of devastation in wake [I don't see devastation; rather, moving on from the unchangeable]
  • Arrogance and pride [Confidence]
  • Not appreciating those who settle and build [I can't relate to those who are stuck , stagnant, yet complain with no vision]
DISCIPLINE FOR GROWTH
  • Patience!  [God grant me patience ... HURRY UP!]
THE APOSTLE IN EVERYDAY LIFE
  • Entrepreneurs
  • Explorers
  • Innovative business people
  • Those who start things
  • People to transform a stuck situation
  • Those who spot hidden talent
"Being an Apostle, God's power is made perfect when an Apostle is weak, when an Apostle steps down from their own power, creativity, and control. If you are an Apostle, don't settle for a lesser story or calling in your life." - Alex

In my personal journey for what comes next in my life and as I search my quest from success to significance, I need to think like an Apostle as I stay open to what comes next professionally and wait for God to open the windows of opportunity to the next season of purpose in my life.

I encourage you to figure out your own APEST calling to identify your God given strengths, natural talents, and abilities to discover your purpose and get on the path in life that you have been well-prepared for.