Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Thank You for Bringing Me Here, Mom"

Brooke had a bad night and when I realized on a phone call with my grandmother that she was being released from the hospital after 11 days to go home alone, I called a last minute road trip. Waking Brooke up, I told her to pack what she needs for a couple of days.

Sometimes life calls for an escape and I was about to introduce my daughter to the trip I have taken by myself for 20 years, a road trip to the mountains of Virginia to grandma's house. Her great-grandmother's house.

Our little sporty car with the windows down in the sunshine, we sang and danced through the massive mountains leaving everything behind. Her disposition changed completely. It was working.

She genuinely loved grandma's house and said she like its feng shui. My grandma hadn't seen Brooke since she was a toddler and said, "My god you are your daddy!"  Brooke smiles at me and says, "but I have my moms personality!" That she does.

It is a very different culture being in the mountains, much slower, and goodbye modern conveniences. I cooked with spring water , made all meals in a cast iron skillet, and showered in pure, untreated well water. No television. No internet. Welcome to country living.

We celebrated my grandmother's 88th birthday with a cake and presents then Brooke performed for her singing song after song on the front porch. Grandma clapped her hands and with tears in her eyes, praised her talent.

This was the first time ever Grandma wasn't up to it, so Brooke and I went for a country ride through the mountains to Rich Patch where my grandmother grew up on the farm and my father lived his early years. I showed Brooke where her papa lived, their church, and the countryside. She was in awe.

This trip was everything I wanted it to be. The sun shining, the temperatures in the low 80's, the mountains majestic, the rivers pure and untouched, the countryside unchanged.

Brooke said she could drive through the mountains for hours and as I drove she took in all the scenery. She said, "Mom, I know this sounds bratty, spoiled, and ungrateful, but I am happier right now than I have been in a long time. I love it here and I can't imagine never seeing this again."

I love my trips (escapes) to grandma's house. I smiled understanding her completely, "This is exactly why I love coming here so much." 

My grandmother thanked me for bringing Brooke. Told Brooke how thankful she is to have had the chance to get to know her and how proud she is of her. With tears in her eyes she lavishly shared how much she loves me and what I have meant to her in her life. I let her know how much I love her, too.

I love my grandmother and with every trip I take, I learn more about her, and understand myself a bit more.

As we were leaving, the scent of the paper mill reached her home. I rolled down the windows of my car to breathe in its sweet scent that triggered memories of my childhood.

"Thank you for bringing me here, mom."

Sometimes life calls for spontaneous trips to the mountains for a needed break from everyday life. The mountains are magical, the rivers fresh and pure, and life is unrushed.

I'm glad my little girl enjoyed the trip, she felt whole again.

I knew she would.