Friday, July 20, 2018

How to Entertain "Bored" Teens

Putting on a pot of coffee, I turned on the news to hear a segment about what to do with your teens this summer when they say they are bored.

Interested in what they are going to recommend, I was surprised to see a reporter prattle off several suggestions such as going to a concert (mentioning the recent Taylor Swift concert), window shopping at the mall, browsing new make-up products, they spotlighted Play: CLE, and finally got around to mentioning no-cost suggestions such as local beaches.

Are you kidding?

Entertain kids with concerts? Active entertainment centers? Shopping at malls without handing money over to allow them to buy all the things they just saw they don't have and now want? What in the world?!


I spent the evening with a group of 20-30's somethings. A clean-cut, middle class group of young adults that work the events we host and I've been told to tighten the ship.

Do you know what happens to kids and teens who are lavishly and constantly entertained because they are "bored"? They show up for work because it's fun to socialize and quickly into their job they are being paid to do, they need lots of breaks. Aren't we lucky they are there? That they showed up?

This generation is our fault.

We teach them laws to abide by to get them through life so they don't end up in trouble, then lavishly provide their every want on top of their every need to give them the best, most fun life possible.

They are crippled when it comes to work ethics. They are blindsided when the life of luxury they've been accustomed to is now their expense they must work for to afford.

I've always gotten along best with hard workers. I won't be the favorite of the low-performers and I couldn't care less. The bar is being set high, keep up or you have to go. It's their choice as I see it.

All dressed up and in the kitchen last night, I was kindly and politely told by our chef who I am most impressed with that I look far too nice and am the brains of the mission, I am not to lift a thing. Delegate.

My work is behind the scenes handling all the details of the events and a presence during the events to ensure all is well, which gives me a bird's eye view of who is doing or not doing what they are supposed to.

We love our kids. We believe that they will learn good work ethics leading by example. It doesn't work that way.

Good work ethics are learned by hard work. It's either in a kid or it isn't. When it isn't, they will need to learn the hard way. The best thing we can do is step out of their way and let them learn it themselves. Don't they know everything anyway?

It's a choice. They will either have or have not. It's their choice.