Thursday, July 19, 2018

A Monstrosity

My mom called last week laughing. She and my dad drove by my former home on Walbrook to see three adults in the front yard doing yard work.

One, the husband, pushing the same size mower I used for 15 years, stopping to wipe his brow looking exhausted from the hill and the heat. Two ladies raking, because they let the grass grow too high, now they need to rake.

Everyone looked exhausted. I laughed.

For the record, I worked full-time, raised two little girls, and kept my home and yard in beautiful condition. Always. The new owners are a couple in their early 40's, younger than me, and there are two of them vs. just me.

Welcome to Walbrook where the front yard is a hill and if you mow mid-afternoon in intense heat, it will kick your butt!

I mowed two times per week, edged and kept my flower beds looking nice.

Today I drove down Walbrook.

Never, ever have my flowerbeds look the monstrosity as it does now. Weeds as high if not higher than the flowers.

I hand-pulled weeds and if I had a week where it was raining a lot and it was difficult to tend to weeds due to my work schedule, my personal life and the rain, I would at least take the weed eater to chop them down, quickly rake them up and spray them with weed killer.

The new owners always have the blinds pulled shut, which is odd. I always keep my house open. I'm betting if they close the front of the house where nobody can see inside anyway due to being on top of a hill, that they hate the fact that the back of the house is completely open. I never had window coverings over the windows.

I'm betting they hated their life mowing. Wait until it snows.