Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Value of Friendships

Last night I drove to meet my very charming, international friend whom I enjoy & adore to join him and his group of guy friends for a going away/birthday party celebration.

This group of guys have a commonality, Jiu Jitsu. Jiu Jitsu is a martial art combat sport, beyond ground fighting, that goes much deeper. It is a brotherhood of friendship, men of character & integrity and what I enjoyingly think of as intense testosterone in a healthy controlled environment.

Watching this group of men interact was heart-warming. Their affection towards each other displayed in physical choke hold ways or embracing in affectionate hugs with hard pats on the back was refreshing. Men that will European-style kiss one anothers cheeks in friendship.  Raw male confidence. Laughter. Conversation.

Today I woke up to a best girlfriend posting a public Facebook heartfelt appreciation to her girlfriends who are there during the fun times and the not so fun times. For girlfriends that are ready to talk through any issue, a cheerleader of support, a partner to run to the battle line with and the very one who will brush off the dirt, hold your hand and pull you through lifes trials.

The value of friendship. Priceless. Truly.

I often reflect on the endless, countless blessings in my life and I am so thankful. Thankful for each unique personality and friend that has crossed my path and added to my life in rich and fulfilling ways.

They say you are lucky in life if you can count on one hand true friendships. I am doubly lucky because I have more than two handfuls. A core group of men and women that I ultimately trust and enjoy beyond measure.

Friendship is a gift from God.

A gift I hope both my girls grasp with both hands and never lose sight of the treasure it is.