Monday, September 10, 2012

Dry Shower Walls

"Dear Mommy, i am sorry for lying to you. I feel so guilty. I promise I will never do it again. love you," a text I received from Brooke on the school bus this morning.

At 6:00 a.m. this morning I woke up to the sound of Brooke aready awake and I believe I heard the shower turned on for only 2 seconds, literally. I closed my eyes for a second about to jump out of bed to start the Monday morning routine.

Pleasantly surprised Brooke was awake, dressed with her hair in a towel from her shower, I put on coffee and started packing her lunch when Brooke comes out and asks me to put her hair in a pony tail.

Barely damp hair? Brooke has extremely thick hair, so thick a hair band can wrap around it only twice when in a pony tail. I do her hair and trust my initial instinct, the shower was turned on for only 2 seconds, I hadn't imagined it.

She happily goes into her room, I check the shower walls. Dry.

What has her grounded wasn't her plan that she thought would work, rather my needing to show and prove to her the shower walls were dry, minus the water spots just below the faucet before her admission.

She unplugged her Xbox to show me she knows she is in trouble.

No need to yell ... calm is actually scarier than rage.

I have all day to tap into my creative this-mom-was-just-lied-to-so-this-is-a-perfect-teaching-opportunity of grounding detail planning.