Saturday, September 22, 2012

I Am An Advocate

I am a mom; therefore, I am an advocate.
 
Ms. ******,
 
From the very beginning of this school year my daughter, Brooke, was mortified to receive a lunch detention. The principle behind the lunch detention is that she has done something wrong and gotten into trouble. She has never had a detention in life and this year alone you have given her several.
 
Brooke has explained that she didn't complete a math assignment or failed to show her work, etc. I told her not to worry about it, but detentions are very upsetting to her.
 
Daily, I hear about lunch detentions that are passed out to students as daily practice. Please feel free to contact me and Brooke can work or complete assignments at home. Lunch detentions have historically been for poor behavior and that is not the case with my daughter. Should she have poor behavior, by all means a lunch detention is fine. I do not want her to receive another lunch detention for an incomplete assignment. She is too good of a girl and a student to have constant reprimands that are not used as such a tool by other teachers.
 
Please feel free to contact me if you wish to meet in person.
 
Thank you,
Dawn
 
After sending this email, I asked Brooke after school the next day if she attended her detention. She said, "Mom, Ms. ****** walked up to the board in front of everyone and erased every students list of detentions and said there will be no more detentions, at the beginning of class. Everyone looked at each other, was a little nervous, and didn't know what to do."
 
We live in a community where our school system is rated in the Top 20 out of over 600 in the state. Still, in an excellent school system, I advocate for my daughters. I have a voice.
 
Brooke said, "She abused her control." Brooke was right and in mom-fashion I went straight to the source.
 
I intended this communication for my daughter only, but I am happy to know she respectfully took it well and extended the courtesy to the rest of the students.