Sunday, September 16, 2012

ALS Walk

We go about our days in a very normal way life, but sometimes moments blindside me when I least expect it.

This morning was the ALS Walk for Lou Gehrig's Disease and a team of us walked for my Mariah's dad, Eric. We were team E Plus Three.

Everything was normal as usual, Brooke and I driving up the highway when Matchbox 20's song "If You're Gone" came across the radio. Allow me to back up a little bit here ... there is a stretch of highway that I am always on when moments of a presence of Keith crosses my path. At first I thought it was coincidental, but it isn't anymore and I don't know why.

This song released in 2000 after Brooke was born and it was the song I would send to her daddy's cell phone to remind him to come home. I loved him and needed him. I was young, my dreams shattered and I didn't know how to get him to come back.

The song came across the radio this morning in the same stretch of highway when reality blindsided me. My little girls dad is dead and we are driving to walk for a cause that is about to consume my oldest daughters dads life.

There was no stopping the tears.

Hundreds showed up to walk this morning and my Mariah was overcome by emotion as her childhood friends showed up to support her with their parents walking in honor of Eric and for Mariah. I look over at my daughter in a circle of friends, her heart is broken and tears are falling.

I make my way over and pull her in my arms, she cries and tells me, "Look at all these people in wheelchairs." She knows their fate, it is the same as her daddy's. Incurable.

It was a gorgeous sunny cool morning and about 25 of us put on our team shirts and walked.

Brooke insisted on making a donation on top of the one I already made. She said she had to for her sister. My 12 year old daughter donated $50 of her own money towards the fight against ALS and I am so proud of her.

I am proud of both my daughter's and thankful for the strength each has.

In the face of death it is so interesting to see those who steps up in support that you never expected. Mariah was saying the other day, "These girls have been my friends since we were little and some of them I haven't played ball with or have had classes with in years."

I'm teaching Mariah that friendship runs so much deeper than everyday communications. These girls woke up extra early on a Sunday morning to meet at 7:30 a.m. to walk in friendship, love, and support of my daughter along with their loving & supportive parents. That is just what true friends do.

Our team picture  is missing a few walkers, but shows my Mariah, her stepmom, me and her stepsister (who leaves to join the Marines next week) centered in the picture with Brooke on the end, surrounded by Mariah's girlfriends, parents and a few family members that came out to show their support ...
 
 
Mariah in the white ALS hoodie with girlfriends and Brooke ...

 

Team E Plus Three walking to the baseball stadium ...


Not the way you want your name on a billboard, but nonetheless our team united together for a cause bigger than ALS. Family, friends, extended family in honor of Eric and in support of those who will be left with with the memory of the effects of this devastating disease.


We walked for Eric. We walked for Mariah. We walked in friendship, love and support.

We walked because we can.