Friday, September 21, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Finally, someone else gets it!  My theory, turned mantra, that guilty pleasures are important in your life.

Today Dr. Oz's show was based on "Guilty Pleasures: To help you live longer." Dr. Oz said that guilty pleasures are critical to your health. That they naturally recharge you in ways that nothing else can.

So many people wear a too busy of a lifestyle and burnout as a badge of honor. Burnout is exactly that, burnout. There is nothing left of you or for anyone else when you don't replenish your own soul with things in life that you enjoy.

You cannot hope someone will come along and etch out time for you to rejuvenate and replenish. Do that for yourself! Besides nobody knows what you are secretly longing for at the moment.

I wanted princess cut diamond earrings, so I bought them. When I want fresh flowers in my kitchen, I buy them. When I want to read a book in the sunshine, enjoy sushi with a girlfriend, indulge in the richest most chocolatey dessert I can find, when I want to twirl on a dance floor listening to live music, laugh having drinks with friends, when I want to buy myself something sexy at Victorias Secret, go on a spontaneous road trip, enjoy nature, take a hot bath with candles, when I need time with my girlfriends, when I need time with a significant other, I find the time and I make it happen.

It's finding balance. Balance between responsibilities and pleasure.

Laugh. Indulge. Refreshen.

Do the little things in life you enjoy that you never make time for anymore. It's true, they will naturally recharge in ways that nothing else can.

Thank you Dr. Oz for reminding everyone that guilty pleasures are a good thing, not bad.

Ahhhh ... guilty pleasures. The very place in my mind where I want to lose myself, breathe in deeply and exhale.

Be heart smart, it's critical to your health, Dr. Oz said so!