Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Her Daddy's Cologne

A while back I blogged about my daughter Brooke afraid that she can no longer smell her daddy's scent on his ruby ring, her one cherished possession from him, and she fears she is forgetting him.

Tonight we she received a gift from her dad's girlfriend, Roann, who is now our family friend. She came over to visit with us and catch up on life. Opening the door to greet her, there she stood with a suitcase. I laughingly asked if she was moving in.

The suitcase was Brooke's dads and it was full of the last of the possessions Roann had of him. She is moving on in a new and happy relationship and  was ready to let go of them. An unexpected treasure for my little girl.

Brooke was excited and said she wanted to open the suitcase in privacy. After our visit came to an end, I went to see what treasures my daughter found ... pictures of her daddy, clothes, shoes, slippers, hats and a bottle of his cologne.

The olfactory sense that triggers familiarity. Now my little girl will not ever ever forget her daddy's scent.

Thank you, Roann.