Monday, March 14, 2011

{The Secret Place}

A devotion written in SheSeeks.org

I want to tell you about a friend of mine named Autumn.

She's a beautiful African-American college student who just recently made the dean's list. Her life consists of many common things: school, work, friends, and studying. On the outside, she looks like a thriving 20-something woman.

But there's something in the corner of her soul that she's kept secret for almost a year.

Autumn was raped. And not by a stranger, but by a friend.

It shouldn't have happened to her. Going to a friend's house to watch a movie seemed like such a normal thing. Society tells us to expect danger and harm while walking down a dark street alone, not in a safe place with someone she knew.

But things got difficult when he started touching her, and then tried to kiss her, as she pushed him away. When she refused to have sex with him, it made him angry. So he raped her.

It is the same scene shocking statistics tell us is played out every two minutes in America, alone.

Autumn told me that getting over the rape was hard but what was worse was the shame that came from it. Shame convinced her that people would blame her or wouldn't believe her. She decided it was better to lock this piece of life up for a very long time.

But Autumn has decided that she doesn't want to be overcome by shame anymore.

She hears the voice of God say to her:

This was not your fault. [1Corithians 5: 1,5]

I see your pain. [Psalm 34:18]

You are not alone. [Isaiah 41:10]

Autumn's story inspires me to understand the truth: what was meant for evil, God can use for good. [Romans 8:28] Sometimes, I just don't get why things happen the way they do. It doesn't seem right -- no one should have to go through this.

But as I type this out I cannot help but think that...

Maybe today someone else will read this story and unlock a secret. Maybe today a woman will open herself to God who will speak these same comforting truths to her heart and she will begin healing. Maybe today a life will be changed forever because of the willingness of one girl to share her story with others.

Maybe today. Maybe you.
 _______________________________  

Here is my own personal story … I have had this happen to me twice.

I don’t think about it until I read stories like this, then the memories play through my mind.  In one situation a particular song is played on the radio and it takes me back.  The song and/or the musicians name.  Being older I reflect back at a much younger girl very different than I am now. 

Unlike most girls, it did not traumatize me at all.  How strange is that to admit?  I simply put it into a category of do not put myself in those circumstances again.

It is both experience and a teaching tool for my teen and tween in their upcoming dating years.  I actually think about it more now that my Mariah is entering her dating years.

I am not a mom that says here are nice-girl boundaries, just say no!

I am a mom who says, these are the situations you will find yourself in and here are several ways to best handle the situation.