Wednesday, March 9, 2011

One Week

Before Christmas, one of my dearest girlfriends called, her husband diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

I was the maid-of-honor in Karen and Berg’s (Berg for Bergman) wedding 8/8/08. 

I remember how much fun Karen & I had sipping champagne & strawberries along with a quiche breakfast in her home as we prepared for her wedding ceremony. A warm and beautiful August day.

How we laughed at the dinner reception when she opened their specially engraved toasting glasses to have them read Bill & Kevin!

They moved to Tennessee one year ago. 

I hate that she is facing all this and I cannot be there with her.  Karen & I stay close talking during morning commutes.  

Today she said Hospice is coming … Berg has been given one week left in life. 

A raw and emotional conversation.  The conversation we knew would eventually happen, but it is here and now.

Karen clings to God and her faith to get through this.  She needs every ounce of strength to face this week for Berg and for herself. 

A lifeline of friendship on constant standby.

A million prayers going up for them both.