Saturday, January 16, 2021

She is a Soldier

 


Brooke sat across from me in the restaurant, well-mannered, put together, and it was like looking in a mirror as her mannerisms reflect my own. She is such a mini-me in so many ways.

She isn't a little girl anymore. She is a young woman, doing the work it takes to be an adult, and is doing very well for herself. 

Her hair done ombre in shades of red, climbing out of her new car she just bought last week, she's learned working hard pays off. It isn't about "things," life is a choice. When you work, you have. 

At the young age of 21 years old, she's married, bought her 1st house and made it a home, excelling at her job, just bought a brand new car all on her own, and has grown into a strong young woman. 

Her journey hasn't been an easy one. 

My gosh, born premature and so, so sick in NICU, the doctors told me to prepare myself, my baby wasn't going to live. God love her, she did. Raised by a single mama (me), she had everything she needed, and I did my best to give them everything they wanted. But as a single mama, it was just me, and it wasn't easy. I had to overcome major life obstacles with her. We learned together. 

I would say as a mom, I was a blend of unconditionally loving, always working hard, generous with them, and tough. I'm so proud of both my daughters. 

In a world where most young adults their age are little assholes, draining their parents, both of my daughters are strong in their faith and have their feet on solid ground. For that I am so grateful. 

Our journey wasn't easy, but it was the better path. 

I love you, Brookie, and I'm so proud of you, sweetheart.