Friday, November 2, 2018

Resolution


Resolution:
a. the act of resolving or determining up an action 
or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
b. the mental state or quality of being resolved or 
resolute; firmness of purpose

I'm reading this book, The Resolution for Woman" by one of my favorite authors Priscilla Shirer. When I go to the bookstore I always say a quick and simple prayer, "Help me find the perfect book."

Done. That's all it takes.

I saw the title Resolution and it struck a cord in me. This years resolution was financial. I went from short goals which had been hard to accomplish without a plan, to me far exceeding my expectations.

Thanks to the Christian author Dave Ramsey of Financial Peace, the thought of $1,000 in a savings account was impossible. Life is expensive and something financial was always draining what I had. My 1st baby step was to save until I had $1,000 in a savings account. Then, I started paying off small credit card debts one at a time in a snowball effect which lightened the load of bills that came in the mail. Selling my home propelled me into a far better place for me in a beautiful new beginning, wiping all debt, paying off everything including car loans and it provided me a nice nest egg. The only expenses I have now are rent & utilities.

I highly, highly suggest financial freedom as a resolution.

My gosh, I remember the year my resolution was learning to say, "No".

As we approach the holidays, what is my resolution for 2019?

Always loving and seeking to learn I couldn't wait to dive into what Priscilla has to mention with biblical truths. She covers topics:

  • Surprisingly Satisfied
  • Purposefully Feminine
  • Authentically Me
  • Faithfully His
  • My Best
  • My Blessing
  • My Forgiveness
  • My Integrity
  • My Heart
  • Loving my Children
  • Living with Grace
  • Leaving a Godly Legacy

Each choice you make determines the path you take, which determines the life you'll end up living, because of the tomorrow you end up shaping.

Perhaps being intentional about what we chose is a wise thing.

The secret to contentment was what I was reading last night and I confess, this an area I do well in as well as my daughters.

"Today we hear philosophy of happiness that's actually been training us for a long time not to be happy. It says there is always something else, something more, some additional requirement we need before we can really enjoy life the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Advertisements bombard us with suggestions, encouraging us to get rid of the old and acquire the new, to be dissatisfied with what we already have. Fed by such a steady diet of unclaimed desires, caught up in this vicious cycle, we consequently feel incomplete and substandard. Unhappy. Uncontrolled. Unfulfilled. Dissatisfied.

This is precisely why a satisfied woman is such a surprising woman. The rarity and uniqueness of a woman who has chosen to be satisfied with what she has, with who she is, and with where she lives is as uncommon and worth celebrating. She has chosen contentment over displeasure." - Priscilla Shirer

This chapter dives into a worldly view, a life of contentment view, and biblical truths.

Contentment is life-changing.

When you are happy and content you are at peace.

Both my daughters live content lives as well. They are content and grateful for what they have, they live enjoying the moment they are already in, not running around with their hair on fire seeking fulfillment, seeking sensationalism, seeking "things" to fill a void, or embarrassingly seeking attention.

I'm am proud of the young ladies they are, in a world out of control.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned
to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is
to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned
the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty
or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
- Philippians 4:11-13