Monday, November 19, 2018

My Irrational Sick Day


Big, fat snowflakes are falling softly and the view from my sick chair is of a picturesque winter day outside and a perfect day to stay nestled with warm blankets inside.

Seldom to I get sick and I've always claimed to have the stomach of a crow; until this weekend. Add vertigo onto a stomach virus and I am a nauseous mess. I found taking a shower this morning to be an accomplishment.

Grateful it was fast and furious, I am worn out.

Its the week of Thanksgiving and I am thankful for many things in the midst of being sick.

I am thankful for my daughters, parents and friends who call often to check on me, willing to bring food and meds, even though I prefer to die alone when sick.

I am grateful for the delicious new teas I recently picked up at a holiday event, because tea, toast and apples have been my staple diet for the last 24 hours.

I am blessed to sit inside a warm & comfy home that in a comfy chair with a super plush soft blanket that provides a place to rest.

Ridiculously (rediculously), I am thankful for Netflix, I believe I watched an entire season yesterday of Hart of Dixie in between naps. For a couple hours, I contemplated if I was having a heart attack or not. My heart physically hurts me when I am stressed, hurting or sick. I wonder how on earth I will know the real thing when it really happens, because I am convinced that is how I will go.

My phone beside me in case of the need to call emergency, then the thoughts going through my mind:

1st - I haven't showered.
2nd - I will have to walk down two flights of stairs. How on earth would paramedics get me down?
3rd - Would they know where to find me here?
4th - Would I really know when to call in time before it's too late? I delivered Mariah naturally because the doctor said I should go to the hospital when I couldn't handle the pain anymore, obviously I have a high pain tolerance, thus her crowning at home in bed! I managed to keep her inside for a 25-minute car ride to the hospital (thanks to Lamaze breathing) and made it to the hospital delivering her naturally, by accident begging for meds.

So I decided to pray and list the many reasons God needed to stop my heart ache and decided I should turn on a good show to focus my attention on something else. That's when I realized while watching Hart of Dixie, my heart wasn't hurting. Being sick causes stress and I was stressed my date with my daughters was canceled. I don't claim to handle everything perfectly.

While getting sick was wildly inconvenient, as it canceled a date day with my daughters enjoying a tree festival in holiday tradition and an appointment I had scheduled this morning, those things can be rescheduled.

Today I was supposed to start decorating the country club, that isn't even going to happen when taking a shower wore me out. I am getting hungry, that's a good sign.

One more day of rest today and I should be back to good health tomorrow.