Wednesday, December 30, 2020

HIIT & Spin

 


HIIT = High-Intensity Interval Training + Spin

I knew it was going to hurt. 

There were 6 of us: 3 of us were 50 years old and 3 were in their 20's. The instructor is 50 and she is a beast (I mean that in the kindest way). My instructor said with the younger girls, she wouldn't play 80's classics; rather something more they would like. The music turned on loud, the tunes to Pitbull filled their air. Thank you, Jesus! Pitbull is my go-to music when I run the Monument steps and I am going to need strong music to make it through this class.

The room is dark with a black light to set the stage.


I'm glad it's dark, I'm glad it's loud, the instructor shouting instruction over the music.  

If it isn't intense enough, we did interval spinning and worked out with weights. This was actually a welcome relief, because as you are spinning and using weights your butt is on the seat. Standing up pedaling is brutal and I was grateful it was dark and for Pitbull. 

The end of the class, the instructor was inviting the 20'somthings to our strength training class. They said they were terrified if they could even do the class lifting weights. I'm watching this in shock, are you kidding, this class is brutal and I have nothing left. 

Biking for me is an outdoor hobby and my average ride is 22 miles. Spinning isn't biking, it's like pedaling for your life because there is a cheetah chasing you for 45 minutes, but there really isn't.