Saturday, December 26, 2020

Alfa

 


She's been through more hell
than you'll ever know.
But that's what gives her beauty an edge.
You can't touch a woman who can 
wear pain like the grandest of
diamonds around her neck.
                                                                                        - Alfa

I'm obsessed with the poet Alfa Holden and I feel like I've received a goldmine with my daughter's giving me her books for Christmas. 

 * She Wears Pain Like Diamonds
 * I Needed A Viking
 * I Find You in the Darkness

Like King Solomon wrote Proverbs... a proverb is a short, concise sentence with words of wisdom. Alfa is a poet and writes powerfully from her soul in only a way one can from significant love and loss. 

I read her words and I want to sit down with her over a cup of coffee and hear her story. I wonder about the one, or perhaps a few, who inspired her soul to write. 

It isn't one or a couple quotes, it's thousands. Raw words written from a broken heart, healed and empowered, and reflecting back place. Words my soul cannot put together in rambling crescendo, but she does, and my heart says, "Yes! That!" 

I never needed a Man.
I needed a Viking.
I needed someone who wasn't afraid
of my strengths or my needs.
I chose wrong 
in the past.
I thought I had to find someone who
could put up with my hunger for life.
But I was so damn wrong.
I needed a Viking.
I needed someone who could admire
all the things about me
that tepid men were intimidated by.
                                                                                          - Alfa