Friday, October 23, 2020

Indian Summer


It was the first frost and watching the weather forecast that said high 70's and sunshine. I kept my schedule clear, because this girl does Indian Summer.

“Indian summer” is a phrase most North Americans use to describe an unseasonably warm and sunny patch of weather during autumn. In U.S. states that experience enough seasonal variation for a brief warming trend to be noticeable, the phenomena is generally observed anywhere from mid-October to early November and normally occurs after the first frost. 

Sunshine, my car reflected it was 80 degrees out, and I needed to be home. There is only 1-1/2 days before all this turns cold. 

Opening all my windows for fresh air, I slipped into my favorite summer outfit, put my hair up in a knot and had dinner in the sunshine on my patio.

I've never had Pesto. This came up in conversation as I am re-writing my event contracts and menus. A colleague left me a jar of Pesto on my desk and I tried that for the first time ever with an Organic Edamame Spaghetti and it was surprisingly tasty. 

Having dinner on my patio in the sunshine, I am looking around at autumn. My property continues to amaze me as it is ever-changing in color. When I moved here in the spring, every single week a new flower and plant came to life. Every week I could walk around my property and find something new as a gift from whoever owned this purposefully planted flowers to awaken at different periods of time. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation. 

All of my flowers, trees, and flowering shrubs are in autumn splendor and I love their constant changes. 

I'm so grateful I planned well and didn't miss any of this. 

Mowing and enjoying the warmth of the sun, tending to weeds before the cold sets in, manually sweeping the driveway and sidewalk because I think it's relaxing, and putting all necessary items in the pool house for winter. I took advantage of this window of time.

This morning is going to be sunny and 77 degrees and I have the morning off for a wedding this evening. This evening it all changes. Thunderstorms dropping the temperatures in the 40's tomorrow then the cold air stays.

Ohhhh... but, this morning. I will be basking in the last bit of sunshine with my windows open. 

Indian Summer always requires planning ahead. Wait for that 1st frost, then watch for that short window of time when the weather becomes unseasonably warm... then make the very most of it.