Sunday, October 18, 2020

Caramel Apple Sangria

 

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga, if you have half a brain
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
I'm the love that you've looked for, come with me, and escape"

It wasn't a pina colada, more a Caramel Apple Sangria and it was strong and FABULOUS! Quite possibly the perfect autumn drink walking down the steps to the patio by the water. The sun shining hot on my skin, not a cloud in the sky. 

Happy Sweetest Day. 

I've always loved Sweetest Day; in fact, I like it more than Valentine's Day because October is so beautiful with the air cool, the sun hot, and trees bursting in color. 

To sit back, relax, and laugh, it felt like vacation. Speaking of vacation, next week it will be me smiling driving down the road as I set out for a road trip through the mountains to my dear girlfriend Karen's place in North Carolina. The temperatures are looking to be 79 degrees next week and I know she already has a full agenda for us. 

Karen is quite possibly one of the funniest people I know! Nothing she says or does shocks me. She lives full throttle, loves deeply, is Miss Entertainment Extraordinaire, and I already foresee a lot of fruity drinks at the beach. 

The last time I walked through her door was 9 years ago. Her husband, Berg, had died of pancreatic cancer. When he was passing she said she was going to sell everything, rent a Uhaul and move to the beach to heal. I thought she was dreaming. My gosh, she did it!

She had said she lived in a shack on the beach and I worried about her. So, I hopped in my car for my 1st road trip there and found her shack on the beach was really a beautiful oceanfront condo. I laughed... all that worry and she was set up quite nice. She laughed, too.

When I walked through her door, there was a spread of food to welcome me made up of shrimp, fresh fruits, cheese, chocolates, etc. and in my room on my bed was the sweetest thing. A letter welcoming me...

Welcome to the land of I-don't-give-a-flip...

... telling me to relax, enjoy the sunshine, no worries, no cares, have a drink or three, walk on the beach, do whatever it is that I need to do for myself for the days I am with her and stay as long as I like. 

There was also an agenda of all the places we simply must go and do each day, amazing food to try, fun to be had. 

It was her ocean front patio with hammocks by the sand dunes and beach, I loved so much, and the tiki bar on the dock that stretched out into the ocean with barstools that I remember most. We wore cute sundresses and our hair was windblown and wild from so many hours at the beach. She's always laughing and telling one funny story after another and me, grateful for such a dear friend. 

If life gives you lemons, Karen's got the vodka, fun fruit to put in it, pretty glasses, chairs on the beach, a great story to share, and a willing heart to do and try anything that goes down in the memories called, "Oh my gosh!" 

That's where I'm going.