Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Butterfly and the Buffalo

"The butterfly has a keen sensitivity. It is sensitive even to the slightest breeze. It flutters above the ground where it can get a panoramic awareness of its surroundings. It notices the beauty of even the tiniest flowers. Because of its sensitivity, it is constantly aware of all the changes going on around it and is able to react to the slightest variation in its environment. Thus, the butterfly reacts with swiftness toward anything that might hurt it. If a tiny pebble were taped to its wind, the butterfly would be severely injured and eventually die.

The buffalo is another story. It is rough and calloused. It doesn't react to a breeze. It's not affected by a thirty-mile-an-hour wind. It just goes right on doing whatever it was doing. It's not aware of the smallest of flowers, nor does it appear to be sensitive to slight changes in its environment. Tape a pebble to the buffalo's back and he probably won't even feel it.

The buffalo isn't "rotten to the core" just because he goes around stepping on pretty flowers. In fact, the buffalo's toughness is a tremendous asset. His strength, when harnessed, can pull a plow that four grown men can't pull.

Men tend to plow through circumstances, while women feel life and surroundings with much more sensitivity."  - Sorry, I will not disclose what book this analogy came from.

Nor this one ...

"A woman recently told me that when she married her husband she thought she was marrying one of the last sensitive men alive. Within a year, she learned he was not at all sensitive or "naturally romantic" as she had thought. It seemed as if his considerate ways of caring for her her flowed naturally from his inner being. Now she is irritated and disappointed that such actions are not a natural part of his manner. In fact, he has to stop and think about how to carry out even the smallest acts of kindness."

This is not a parallel to David, they are funny analogies I am reading in a book on what motivates men, to enhance our relationship. Understanding men and how to move their heart.

Once upon a time, about a year ago, we used to sit in silence and stare at each other, "You are so beautiful", he would say and "You are as sexy now as you were twenty years ago."

I remember him once saying that I was the best person he had ever met in his whole life.

Fast forward 10 months later ... real life happens. Our relationship is established, our comfort zone and daily routine is fine-tuned, issues with Brooke cause constant strife, I've experienced the worst year of employment in my life, we've had a big disagreement and experienced each others reaction, but in the face of life that constantly changes, our relationship would change regardless.

I've always been one to want to enhance where I am at in life. Experience new challenges and strengthen where ever I am at.

I believe that people study to get degree's in fields of employment, but they won't do the work it takes to enhance their most important relationships.

I love love. I want to specialize in one of the most important relationships in my life and I want my life to be a reflection of that.

Enhancing. Increasing. Challenging. Enjoying.

But first, I must understand this buffalo.