Saturday, January 18, 2014

Praise and Admiration

David's love language is acts of service. He is constantly doing things and taking care of things for me as his #1 expression of love. Besides the fact that I over indulge him in love, affection and affirmations, praise and admiration are qualities that he lavishly deserves.

We are eating clean. A lot of seafood, meats, fruits, veggies and salads, and have pretty much eliminated starches from our daily menu.

A week ago, David called and said he was on his way home and that he hoped I had room in my freezer. He loaded the freezer up with salmon, cod, chicken, and fillets. Planning ahead he bought the economy size box of freezer bags and proceeded to individually bag his purchases so I only needed to thaw what was necessary to cook for dinner

I am a very lucky girl.

Yesterday I thawed some bags of cod and simply asked him if I cook it the same as salmon, because I have several salmon recipes. It was 6 o'clock in the evening when unbeknown to me he pulled some cod recipes on the internet. I wrote down the list of ingredients I did not have and God love him ... he went to the store and picked up the needed items for our Friday night dinner after he worked all day.

I said I would go, but he insisted.

He called a bit frazzled from the store not knowing where the items were located and a while later walked in the door and prepared his new cod, lemon-zesty recipe while I prepared a new dish I saw on Restaurant Impossible.

It was 8 o'clock by the time we ate and dinner was delicious.

I knew he was tired. I knew it was hours later than when we typically eat dinner and not our usual routine of the way we do things. I see qualities in him as a man who gives me 100% of his time, attention, affections and love, and the many acts of service he tends to in taking care of me in spite of being tired and working all day and I see what a good man I have in my life.

I will be the first to say our life together is action-packed and fun. We love each other deeply, laugh constantly, and enjoy sharing hobbies and interests. One of the countless things I love so much about him is when plans don't happen as smoothly as we seem to make them normally happen, his character and integrity shines brighter in those moments revealing the man he is.

Decades ago my mom asked my great-grandmother, "How do know who is the right person to spend the rest of your life with?" She replied, "You spend your life with the one you cannot imagine your life without."

Last summer life was hot sunshine days, summertime fun, falling in love and all things flowers, fun and Harleys. We were awesome.

Time passes, real life happens, jobs fade, my child gets out of control, and he is a rock star.

Summertime will come again, because seasons change, such is life. In the storm, I have been given the opportunity to see his character and integrity in the moments when life isn't so easy. I have been given the opportunity of seeing this man for exactly who he is with rose-colored glasses removed and I couldn't love him more.

I cannot imagine my life without David.