Saturday, January 4, 2014

Oh My Sweet Girl

Mariah was sharing a conversation with me she had with another person, telling them that when she graduates she would like to get her own place since she will be paying all her own bills anyway.

I started laughing out loud at her cluelessness and she was instantly aggravated.

She gets extremely aggravated, emotional, and teary-eyed when the topic of bills comes up. She is aware that when she graduates from high school in May (3 months shy of turning 19 years old) she will be responsible for her cell phone bill, her car insurance (on my car that she drives full-time at no expense to her), and $100 per month as her contribution to the household fund for food.

She is distraught and feels as if she mind as well have her own place.

Today I will be writing two lists for her: Her list of three expenses living at home versus the list of expenses if she chooses to rent her own place, all-inclusive of every utility on top of needing furniture to get started, setting up a kitchen and bathroom, personal needs, and her option of would she like to watch tv and have internet and and have any money left for or a beverage at Starbucks.

I'm certain life will feel as if it is over before it really begins.

Oh my sweet girl, I'm sensing this conversation is going to turn overwhelming and the tears will flow today.