Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Renewed Perspective

It was definitely a quiet week and I woke up yesterday morning excited to finally see Brooke and bring her home.

Driving 1-1/2 hours away to pick her up, I had the usual chest pain of stress this drive brings and I was so excited to finally see her that my eyes filled with tears in anticipation of her walking in the room when I embraced her in a very long mom hug and kisses on her cheeks.

We were a half mile away from the hospital when she cautiously asked if I missed her. "Yes, I missed you very much." Her eyes filled with tears and she cried for the next five minutes in what I believe was relief.

Our stance on not seeing her since Sunday afternoon made a statement and I'm certain she wasn't sure what to expect when she got out. She said she cried every night and missed her family, because family is everything.

I was refreshed to see a light of hope in her and a change in her perspective. Her willingness to battle until hell breaks loose was replaced with she is tired of the drama, wants to be a better person and is willing to do the work with personal goals set.

This is a good starting point. Not that it may last, but I haven't seen her in this place for as long as I can remember.