Friday, January 16, 2015

Faith Like a Spider Web

"Ewww!" crossed my mind when I read the title, Faith Like a Spider Web in this mornings devotion.

I don't do spiders. Nor do I smash or clean them up well. My mom usually fills in the gap on spider clean-up and saves all things puked on.  [Thanks, Mom!]

This mornings devotion ...

I was looking forward to window washing day so I could annihilate them and their homes. Using a big brush I soaped up the window and aimed the nozzle at a web, then pulled the handle with all my strength. The web held firm. I need more water pressure, I thought. After turning the pressure to its fullest, I sprayed again. Still nothing.

Closer. I need to be closer. I used a stepladder to get closer to the web. This tactic definitely got me wetter but did not bring down the web. It was strong and stubborn, unwilling to succumb to my pressure. While drying myself off, I had a spiritual encounter: I want faith like that spider web … a faith that can withstand pressure: low, high and nearby.

The strength and tenacity of the web intrigued me, so I researched the phenomenon and discovered three facts about spider webs.

Fact 1: Spider web is two words, not one. This is not spiritually relevant information — but good to know.

Fact 2: Tensile strength (TS) is defined as the maximum stress a material can withstand when stretched or pulled before breaking. The TS of spider silk is greater than the same weight of steel and has just as much, if not more, elasticity.

Spider silk is under investigation for potential use in bullet-proof vests and artificial tendons. How? That answer is above my pay-grade. But spiritually speaking, I want a faith that can withstand life’s pressures.

Fact 3: It is not uncommon for a spider web to be 20 times the size of the spider building it. I want a faith bigger than I am so when the storms come, I won’t be destroyed.

In a strong wind, I can bend but won’t be blown away.

A spider is not cast iron, but delicate and can be easily smashed.

Dedicated, it's purpose to build a strong web home that can withstand being stretched or pulled without breaking.

Well done little spider in your ability to build a home that others investigate and wants to duplicate.