Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Restaurant Impossible

My favorite television shows/series are Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, The Bachelor, Keeping Up With the Kardashians (I know most people especially do not like this show, but I do), Millionaire Matchmaker, and Restaurant Impossible.

I dvr my shows for when I do want to watch television, I watch exactly what I like. I've never worked in the food industry, but Restaurant Impossible seems so logical that it amazes me those who get into the business can't figure out why their restaurant is failing. Chef Robert Irvine swoops into town and rescues failing restaurants in two days time identifying the failing issues, changing menus, and transforming drab to fab with $10K. I'm hooked.

One day ... I hope to own my own quaint patio café on the water (I'm hoping on the North Carolina coast) that people come to as a tranquil escape with friends in an oceanesque setting.  

Interviewing for a management position for a meal ministry I was asked what food industry experience I have. I laughed and said I have zero experience but my training watching Restaurant Impossible. No kidding. I actually said it.

Here's the thing ... I know leadership and I know how to see the goal and can clearly think through all the steps to get there.

Last night I got the call, I got the job! 

My role will be securing food and donations for a meal ministry and homeless shelter, creating meals with whatever food is available at the moment (which will be an added challenge over Restaurant Impossible's already set menus and known needed food items), managing the volunteers, community outreach, while being hands-on present in the meal ministry with and for our dinner guests. 

Did I mention in 2013 they served 73K meals?  That is Restaurant Impossible on crack!

I'm up for the challenge and who knows, maybe I will get Chef Robert Irvine to step foot through our doors.

My personal goal with this will be taking the meal ministry to new levels it has never seen before.

In a quest for significance in my life, it is for me to be an open and willing vessel. If I am confident and willing to do the work of the awesome responsibility and mighty task that has opened for me, God will meet me there to provide and equip.

It's His meal ministry, therefore my boss is ultimately God on this one.