Sunday, February 23, 2014

He Asked For A Hot Meal

A couple of years ago I hosted a table at an agency that provided services to many of the at-risk students when I worked for an educational management company. I was working the table alone when a shy, young boy (early 20's) approached me and quietly asked if I knew where he could get a hot meal. 

I remember my heart breaking for him and wishing I had brought my colleague with me so I could have left the table and taken him to get a healthy and hot meal. I also remember not having any cash on me that I would have willingly handed over.

A couple of blocks away was a campus full of agencies with a food pantry that I directed him to. The food pantry could provide him with food for several meals and a long-term relationship and the other agencies could meet other needs.

Years later, this boy haunted me. I often thought about him and constantly replayed my response wishing I could do more.

His name is Eric and he lives at the homeless shelter where I am now working.

I recognized him immediately my first day feeling badly that he is still in not a good place, but happy to see my first impression of him was correct; he is a very shy and very nice boy.

A part of me wanted to say, "I remember you ..." but I would never want to embarrass him.

Eric and I worked together all morning yesterday. Clearing out a room for my new office, we had a team of men that stay in the shelter volunteer to haul and carry pantry items to the basement for storage. Eric and I were in charge of organizing the new pantry downstairs.

He is quiet and shy, a willing heart to work and help, and great organizational skills. We kept conversation to a minimum and to the task at hand. He isn't much of a talker and I found I wanted to respect his quietness. What I did do though was thanked him for his help and his organizational skills. Asking him where he thought items would be best placed to give him ownership on this pretty big task.

It was while we were working together that I asked his name. Quiet, shy, remaining on task he politely replied, "Eric, it is nice to meet you."

I don't know his story and I don't need to. I just am glad that after a couple of years of often wondering about him, I am in a place where I hope to make a positive difference for him ... finally.