Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Window Into Heaven

Yesterday I took Brooke and her friend Delaney to the park to play on a sunny, summer day.  I secretly wanted to lose myself in a new book in a park setting while the girls ran and played.

Brooke ran over to me, looked towards a man walking and said in a soft voice, "I thought that was my dad."

I believe my heart stopped beating for a moment. She looked at me with the blended look of happy, I-thought-that-was-him, hope and the realization of loss. She looked at me with a flood of emotions almost as if for an answer. It took a few seconds for her to process this acceptance, then she ran off and played.

Her first experience of thinking someone was her dad, but her daddy has been dead for 1-1/2 years.

In the middle of a park on a sunny afternoon, the unexpected blindsides me.

I remember my own first time I thought I saw him. There is a guy at the gym I go to that I find myself watching all the time. Not in an I'm interested-kind-of-way, but in the he is the same height, body, look and walk kind of way just like Brooke's dad.

It really is a plethora of emotions that hit that first time. I admit now I like to see him, the familiar at the gym, but that first encounter put a halt in my step outside in parking lot.

In the park, I'm not crying or moving, the tears just won't stop falling. The unfairness. Her heart hurting and I can never make that better.

I look up from my park bench for help from God and saw the prettiest scene I hadn't seen while lost in my book.


It looked like a window into heaven.

The jingle of an ice cream truck, a familiar summer tune, pulled in and captured all the kids attention. A welcome relief.

Today we had ice cream.