Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Defender of Good

My mom & dad sat on my patio and told us all about their missions trip to an orphanage in the deep south.

My dad drove a team of volunteers on this trip and worked at the orphanage doing improvements and much needed updates. My dad can fix anything and he doesn't stop giving of himself endlessly.

Anxious to hear about their journey, my mom looked reluctant when I asked how the trip went. The story started off with intense heat and humidity that made being outdoors miserable. Their sleeping quarters lacking.

She states there was a fight Tuesday. The second day into their journey.

The woman who runs the orphanage was a dictator, demanding, and constantly yelled at every group of women from young girls to the older women working in the kitchen like a military sargent ... until she crossed paths with my mom.

My mom is the preachers mom, my brother is the church pastor. This is her first missions trip with a bus load of church members. My mom is also not about to let a woman scream at her let alone scream at all the groups of females that have volunteered a week of their time to travel south, work and help out.

This is the pinnacle of the story I was anxiously awaiting to hear.

My mom sheds her I'm-the-preachers mom and fellow-church-members-who-don't-know-her-very-well and takes the dictator out.  A face to face confrontation. Way to go, mom!  "Nobody is going to scream at me ..."  The bully backs down and my mom puts on her "alpha female" role and takes over. Not the orphanage, but control of the women, their duties and meals times.

D.N.A.

I was born into a line of strong females. I was the defender of good in corporate America, nobody was bullied on my shift. My girls stand up and protect the bullied in school.

We are women to will tie our hair back and run to the battle line. We don't start confrontations; rather, it stirs something inside us and once involved we won't back down.

Way to go, mom!