Monday, April 30, 2012

Knee Up & Ice It

Ugh ... a set-back!  A set back more in my mind then in the overall span of life.

A little over a week ago I did something to my knee in kickboxing. Push, push, push through it! That's what I did until I was in my step aerobic class when I twisted and twirled on my already swollen knee and really felt something pull. Class over!

I told my fitness instructor that my knee had been swollen for days and that I have been pushing through it. She said take a couple of days off from the gym, get my knee up and ice it.

A positive attitude says, if I invest those expensive new running shoes with gel cushioning, support, and all that jazz that the co$t of shoes and positive will-power will make everything better. It hasn't.

I am 110% into my new fitness routine in mind, body and spirit in the gym six days a week. Summer is one month away and I have one month to push myself hard.

Three days later it is confirmed in my mind I have done some damage.

Inconvenient. Untimely. Beyond aggravating in my mind.

Today I have to call and orthopedic physician to see what damage I have done.  I have no time to lose and I Loathe (with a capital L because I can't stand it that much!) the thought of surgery and physical therapy. All the ground I have gained in my classes will be start-overs and I can't wrap my mind around it.

My personal timeline is being interrupted BIG time!

Staying positive and buying the most comfortable pair of gym shoes I have ever owned in my life doesn't deny and make damage go away.

Today I must move quickly, face my inconvenience dead-on and consult in a specialized physician.

First, I will put on my most amazing new shoes, slip on my Ace knee wrap and go to my kickboxing class, punch but not kick!

I still believe there is a purpose for everything, even this inconvenience that is a giant in my timeline. 

My knee may be screwed up, but I still have other body parts I can tend to in the meantime.