Tuesday, April 24, 2012

High Up On the Mountains

While vacationing in the mountains, a man watched as a lumberman occasionally jabbed his sharp hook into a log, separating it from the others floating down the mountain stream. The man asked the lumberman why he was separating some of the logs.
The worker replied, “These logs may all look alike to you but a few of them are very different. The ones I let pass are from trees that grew in the valley. They were always protected from the storms. Their grain is coarse. The ones I have hooked and set apart from the rest came from high up on the mountains. From the time they were small, they were beaten by strong winds. That toughens the trees and gives them a fine and beautiful grain. They are too good to use for plain lumber so we save them for our best work.”
This seems to be today’s theme, a purpose behind each storm.
The internet guy came to install the new internet service in my home today. He loved my little CRZ and seemed to know a lot about it as well as the former CRX from the 80’s.  His mom used to breed Persians, we shared the common feelings of not wanting animals in our homes. Nice guy. Good conversation.
I’m not sure how it happened, but our conversation slid into Brooke losing her dad and Mariah’s dad being sick when he asked if we went to church. He wanted to know if I/we had a relationship with God.
We do.
My laptop was malfunctioning, which gave us time to chat. I’m not sure why it struck me as odd, but the internet guy said very kindly, but very matter-of-factly, "There is a purpose behind each storm."
Comfortable in his faith.
I appreciated his kindness, conversation and reminder.