Thursday, April 3, 2014

"THANK YOU, GOD, YOU CAME BACK!"

"Oh my gosh, you came back!" [Insert hands thrown in the hair]

Another's face lights up and I get a giant hug, "Good to see you again."

"Where have you been? We thought you weren't coming back."

"Is Dawn coming back? Did we scare her away?" I was told one of my shelter guys asked.

"THANK YOU, GOD, YOU CAME BACK! I was so angry when I thought you had left, but then I saw your face today and THANK YOU, GOD!  You light up this place and it isn't the same here without you!" This same speech was repeated at the end of the day in the parking lot going to my car.

[Side note] I remember the first time I pulled into the shelters parking lot filled with guys to walk into work my first day, I admit wasn't completely comfortable. Now, every day I pull in with the guys outside and it makes me feel safe. The shelter isn't in the best area of town. I leave every night to 5-15 guys hanging out outside and I feel safer having them out there. They are warm, friendly, caring, and will do anything for me. They are my friends, my good mornings and my good nights.

All day the shelter guys were in my office one-by-one. My dinner guests said their, "Welcome back" comments after dinner.

It was a warm welcome home, but I'm pretty sure I told everyone I was going out of town for a week and would be back.

What surprised me was only one asked where I was or if I was coming back when I was gone. Sadly, they just formed a conclusion without asking as if that is what they expected.

Next time I will make it a formal announcement from the podium.