Tuesday, April 1, 2014

First Class

The Walking Dead may be a hit television show, but the live version can be observed at the airport at 4:30 a.m. for a 5:20 a.m. flight.  I, however, did not fall into this category by being bright and alert. 

The plane was full thanks to spring break and I was California bound. Sitting in the back of the plane, the airline stewardesses were securing making final checks that all carry-ons were under the seat in front of you and seat belts were fastened. A *hush* was over the sleepy plane.

A rather large, stoic-faced stewardess walked to the back of the plane straight to me and asked, "Are you flying alone?" Yes. "Bring your things and follow me, you are not in trouble."

Honestly, I didn't know what was going on. 

We walk to the front of the plane to three open rows of First Class seats with only one person sitting there. "You may sit here." "Look, she has Kim Kardashian hair!" she shouts to the other stewardess. 

Wide comfy seats, leg room, nobody sitting next to me. Wow, thank you!

Within seconds, the she comes by with a snack basket and asks if I would like a beverage?  I admit I was a bit embarrassed at the plane full of "commoners" (sorry, I love saying that!) behind me who haven't been offered a single thing other than a command to buckle their seat belts and keep their seat upright.

"Yes, coffee with cream, please."  This is quite possible the perfect way to begin my trip.

Eight out of nine first class seats open and I was the only one chosen and pulled to sit up front. Feeling blessed and highly favored, both stoic looking airline stewardesses are warm, friendly, talking to me constantly, and treating me like a celebrity.

The plane is slowly backing up to head to the runway when the one who pulled me from the back said, "We were asked to pull someone up to first class and I told her that I know who ... you were the only person that spoke to me when you boarded the plane."

Note to self: Always. Always. Greet airline staff with a warm and friendly hello when boarding a plane.