Sunday, June 2, 2013

Siblinghood Prevails

Siblinghood prevails. Words my Mariah won't forget.

Traveling on an all-family vacation this past week in one vehicle was my dad (Papa), and the two little ones who watched their movies with headsets, slept, and my dad and I enjoyed the drive speaking a little and a lot of just silence.  That's how we roll.

The other car were the chatty-cathies, my brother, sister-n-law, Mariah, and my mom. I would have wanted to jump out of the moving car after 6-hours of constant loud conversation.

My Mariah is very close to my brother. He was a single young man when she was born and married when she was 4 years old. Mariah has wedged herself as a toddler between my brother and his wife Melissa since they were dating.

My mom shares with me a conversation in their car ...

Mariah was saying how strong she is, that she is stronger than me. My brother cautiously warns her that she may be stronger, but that I am much meaner that she is, don't ever put your hands on your mom.

Mariah tests the waters a bit further ... "What if my mom hits me first?"

"If your mom hits you, you deserved it. If you ever put your hands on your mom, even if she hits you first, I will come after you and hit YOU!  That is my sister and she will always come first" my brother (the pastor) warns her.

Stunned. I know her feelings were hurt. I know she believed her uncle would always protect her first, but he didn't.

Siblinghood prevails.

A lesson well learned.

*For the record, I don't hit my kids. Mariah likes to wrestle and play rough. A few years ago, she started wrestling with me and became overly excited when she knew she was getting pretty close to giving me a run for my money.  I told her to stop and in her excitement she wanted to prove she is stronger and didn't.  So, I *pinched* her. Hard. It crushed her feelings and I warned her then, don't ever try to overpower me. Some day you will be stronger, but I am much meaner and I will hurt you.