Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Light In Her Room

Some things are just unexplainable.

I have a story to share, that Brooke hasn’t fully comprehended yet.  Some things in life are comforting.  Some things in life are pondered and become scarier at night.  She is only 11 years old. 

Brooke and I traveled to Indiana for her dad’s funeral the Monday after Christmas. 

Brooke had a bag of toys and books to entertain herself in the car.  One of her treasured items, her dad’s company ink pen (PSD), has become a favorite item since his death. She lost it before we left on our journey.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010, was the day that Brooke attended her daddy’s funeral. Pain. Heart break. Tears. Loss. Never did I imagine I would endure a moment like that with my child.

After the funeral and burial the family went back to her grandparent’s home. I’m so thankful for that decision. A family went from heart break to bonding. Healing together after a painful tragedy.

The mood was lightened, the painful part of the journey now over. We are both more than ready to go home.  In fact, we both felt we couldn’t get out of Indiana fast enough!

Brooke had taken her Pokemon book and her DS game into her grandparent’s home to play with.  She hopped in the car, in the front passenger seat, and placed her book and DS on top of her bag of toys that was sitting on the floor.  We began our trip home.

We are talking happily and laughing about how fast we can exit this state, when Brooke said, “Mom, did you put this pen there?” I looked down and saw her treasured pen sitting on top of her book, leaning against her DS as if perfectly positioned reading PSD.

I looked at Brooke and saw her expression. She wasn’t playing. She was curious. She was excited. She was concerned. “No, I didn’t … you did!” I said.  She said, “Mom, I lost my pen yesterday.” I knew she had. Logic reminded me.

I looked at the perfectly placed pen.  On a bag of toys, so it couldn’t have rolled from under the car seat.  We both looked at each other. Unexplainable.

We left Indiana at 4:00 p.m. on that day to head home.  It was late for a six hour drive, but that was okay with us. 

As we pull into our driveway at 10:00 p.m., Brooke said, “Mommy you left my bedroom light on!”  Huh?  I did.  That’s odd though, it isn’t as bright as her too bright night light, a soft glow. Nonetheless, a light is on. 

We are glad to get out of the car and be home.  We enter a dark house.  There was no light on.  Not even in Brooke’s room. 

Brooke still doesn’t realize to this day and I have not said anything. I went into her room, no light anywhere.  Am I comforted?  I search the house anyway.

I knew everything was okay Mocha, our family cat, was calm and relaxed.

Some things are unexplainable in life. Do I believe in signs from above, happenings that bring us comfort?  Absolutely!

I will tell Brooke someday.