Saturday, January 29, 2011

Her Daddy's Red Ring

Brooke received her daddy’s red ring today.

When Keith died, his parents came to town and took his possessions and his body back to Indiana. It’s sad how people act when a person dies … his possessions whisked away and divided among those older than Brooke that felt entitled. 

The one item Brooke asked for was her dad’s red ring. Nobody has bothered to look.

Roann has been Keith’s girlfriend for 5 years.  I really like Roann.  She is my age (40 yrs), absolutely beautiful, and called Nana to her two grandkids.  Which cracks me up!

Roann has always been so good to Brooke and I was always glad she was in her life.

We exchanged phone numbers at Keith’s funeral, she misses Brooke.  Her grandson also misses Brooke. Roann is a part of Keith and Brooke finds familiar comfort with her.

Roann hasn’t moved Keith’s clothes or moved his items such as his shaving cream and cap from where he left them lay on her bathroom counter.  She is empty.  She is lost. 

We call to check up on each other, she likes to talk about Keith. It is déjà vu listening to her. As if listening to my life, so many years ago.  

In one of our conversations, I mention my frustration over his possessions being taken and all Brooke has asked for is the red ring.  Roann HAS IT!  He had left it at her house, thank God!

Today Roann and her grandson, Logan, came over for our 1st play date.  She brought her daddy’s red ring, too.

The kids played, I put on coffee, and we talked for hours. Sharing stories. Laughing at stories. Crying together ... that’s what us girls do. My heart hurts for her.

She asked if Keith was in hell?  That she wonders about that because hasn’t gone to church since her mom died when she was 8 years old. I assured her that while Keith was a wild, free spirit, he absolutely believed in God, and openly talked about his faith. Once your name in written in the book, nothing can remove it. She smiled.

Brooke now has her daddy’s red ring.

I have a new friend.