Friday, January 21, 2011

Father/Daughter Dance

My little brother, Jason, called me last night … Not so little at 6’8” and 250 lbs, but no matter what size they become, in his mind, he is convinced I am still the BIG sister. That is years of convincing at its best! O=)

Anyway, Jason called to get the details of the Father/Daughter Dance tonight.

I have dreaded tonight for weeks. The Father/Daughter Dance and Brooke’s dad just died. Why does this night haunt me and why do I dread it so much?  I’ve had to search my heart and have realized, it has been only one month since Keith’s death and this is the first of countless events that she will need a dad-replacement, a father figure, a male role model.

Keith’s death is too fresh to face this needed reality now.

Keith has taken Brooke to the father/daughter dance every year, until tonight. He was always the perfect date!  Dressed to the nine’s, loved to dance, super personality, and made every year special for Brooke.

Tonight is her last father/daughter dance … until her wedding day. Father/daughter dances end in 5th grade.

I’m thankful for the men in my life and my daughter’s lives that are so willing to step up, step in, and fill the void.

Back to the phone call … my brother calls to cover all the bases.  Confirm the time to pick Brooke up … check.  Will there be food (ha … such a guy!)?  Will she dance?  Etc. 

He asks me, “Am I supposed to be nervous?”  I say, “Not at all!”  Then he asks me why he feels so nervous?  I replied, “Jason, this is your first and only father/daughter dance ever.” 

My brother has only my nephew, Nathan. I think that was a sweet confession on his part.

Tonight I will dress Brooke up to look like a princess. My heart will be breaking.